Transforming education systems to create equitable outcomes for all learners.
Responding to the realities of COVID-19, the Personalized Learning working group enhances innovative education practices in the greater Pittsburgh region, builds sustainable integration between personalized learning practice and policy, and works to create a more equitable system for all students, no matter their demographics.
What is the Personalized Learning Working Group?
Through a collaborative effort between KnowledgeWorks, Remake Learning, the University of Pittsburgh School of Education, and the SWPA Personalized Learning Network, a diverse group of education and community leaders are working together to reimagine education practice and policy, grounded in a preferred future for education in the region.
Working group members will collaborate to define strategies and achieve key outcomes that lead to increased personalization and learner agency:
Why Personalized Learning?
The COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted education systems and economies, revealing weaknesses in education infrastructure and jeopardizing the financial security of state governments, school systems, and families. The long-term effects will be pronounced and will call into question the future of traditional education.
In Pennsylvania, over 1.7 million students had their school year disrupted and many have become disconnected from social safety nets. Practitioners and local administration have also been left scrambling to provide services and supports for their students. These challenges will only compound as policymakers face the reality that policy waivers and stimulus funds are temporary solutions.
To build a more resilient and responsive education system, both practitioners and policymakers must embrace personalized, competency-based learning (PCBL). To this end, the Personalized Learning working group builds stakeholder knowledge and capacity in the region by identifying key policy and practice changes to pave the way to a stronger, more equitable system.
- Aurora Institute: Reports, briefs, webinars, and other learning resources on policies and practices that support next-generation learning.
- KnowledgeWorks: A collection of strategic forecasts, white papers, infographics, success stories, and more from the leaders and partners of KnowledgeWorks.
- Personalized Learning Network: A group of schools in southwestern Pennsylvania working together to tackle the unique challenges of implementing personalized learning.
- Pitt’s Personalized Learning Focus and Network: Offering strategies for preparing students for lives of impact through educational experiences tailored to their specific goals and needs.
- PittED Justice Collective: A three-year working group at the Pitt School of Education engaged in anti-racist, justice-directed initiatives with students, staff, faculty, alumni, families, youth, and district and community partners.
- PL2: A project combining personal mentoring and tutoring with AI software to create a dynamic learning experience that is uniquely tailored to the strengths and needs of students who otherwise would be under-served.