PLUS Software Engineer
PLUS Personalized Learning Squared
The PLUS – Personalized Learning Squared project, run by the Human-Computer Interaction Institute at Carnegie Mellon University aims to double the rate of math learning in middle school students, particularly those who have been historically underserved. This project is operated in collaboration with Carnegie Learning and Stanford University and is led by Principal Investigator Prof. Ken Koedinger and Shiv Gupta.
Their program features a hybrid tutoring platform that combines human and AI tutoring to deliver personalized learning for each student. PLUS is currently working with school districts in Pennsylvania, Maryland, and California. Their team consists of diverse individuals with backgrounds ranging from experienced researchers to high-tech to small startups and they operate in a fast-paced and fun environment.
About The Role:
As a software engineer at PLUS, you will help PLUS develop cutting-edge tools to enable tutors to double student math learning. You will work with a diverse team of researchers, designers, and learning engineers to build the PLUS web app and remote tutoring software. PLUS needs engineers to be knowledgeable and versatile, demonstrate leadership abilities, and be enthusiastic to take on new challenges.
Your core responsibilities will include:
- Providing strategic leadership in areas of technology development.
- Owning and developing product features end-to-end: through conception, exploration, iteration, and maintenance
- Creating components for the front-end elements of the PLUS app
- Documenting new designs, code, and modifications
- Maintaining existing applications and fixing any bugs that arise
- Participating in QA efforts and code review
- Supervising junior developers
- Creating infrastructure and protocols for CI/CD
What You Bring:
- Proficiency in full-stack web application development
- Proficiency in best practices in database design and knowledge of SQL queries and various SQL reporting tools
- Ability to follow accurate software engineering practices such as: documentation, development of test suites, version control, project management, and modern DevOps practices.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Engineering, Information Technology, Information Systems, or related field
- Master’s degree preferred.
- 3+ years of industry experience developing, maintaining, and supporting software
What PLUS Offers:
- Competitive salary and benefits package including an automatic 8% monthly contribution to a retirement plan.
- Professional development opportunities including tuition benefits at CMU for you and your dependents.
- Comprehensive health insurance and generous PTO
- Chance to work with the world’s foremost learning science researchers.
- A fun, high-octane team that will work with you every step of the way.
- Successful background check
- Remote Work: This opportunity is approved to work remotely from PA, CA, NY, and Washington DC.
- Wage Transparency Requirements: In accordance with the pay transparency legislation set forth by CA and NY, the corresponding salary range for this position, if placed in CA or NY is between $89,900 – $123,500 per year.
Are you interested in this exciting opportunity?! Apply today!
Staff – Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
Full Time/Part time