This opportunity's deadline has passed.
Maker Educator Leadership Certificate Program
This January, UW-Madison is excited to launch the second cohort of the Maker Educator Leadership Certificate program! The program is based on years of work with educators through Agency by Design Pittsburgh and will be facilitated by Dr. Peter Wardrip & Dr. Jeff Evancho.
Through the Maker Educator Leadership Certificate Program, classroom teachers and informal educators (e.g., museum, library, and after-school educators) engage in making, conversations and job-embedded professional development to ground their maker-based learning experiences in evidence of student learning and engagement.
The program consists of four fully online, sequential courses dedicated to building educators’ intentional design of maker-based learning experiences, documentation of those experiences, and tools and routines to discuss their work with colleagues.
Participants will engage in weekly asynchronous learning experiences and discussions. The cohort will meet synchronously via Zoom for hands-on activities and conversation two times per module.
This is an opportunity for educators to connect with a global cohort of leaders. Together you will deepen your understanding of maker-centered teaching and learning, identify a personal area of leadership within the maker context, and implement a leadership strategy though the final practicum. Throughout the course you will learn with and from inspirational maker leaders on similar journeys, all “making” a difference in communities around the world.
2024 Program Dates*
January 13–February 24: Foundations of Maker-based Education
March 9–April 20: Assessment, Instructional Design, and Routines
May 4–June 8: Culture Building with Colleagues
September 21–November 16: Hands-on Practicum
- Identify desired goals for maker-based learning in your learning setting
- Refine what constitutes evidence of engagement in those goals
- Analyze learner evidence to guide the design of maker-based learning
- Plan collaboratively with educators to improve student learning
- Participate in protocols to share and discuss evidence of learning
- Utilize routines, such as design challenges and walk-throughs to share and discuss evidence of learning
- Reflect on maker education practice and use that reflection to grow and improve continually
2024 Cohort Registration
Registration Fee: $3500 Certificate | $5680.52 Certificate+12 Graduate Credits
Group Rate: $3000 per person for 3 or more individuals from the same institution. Certificate only, group rate not available for Graduate Credit option.
Registration Deadline: December 1, 2023