PLUS Math Tutor
PLUS Personalized Learning Squared
At the forefront of revolutionizing middle school math education stands the PLUS (Personalized Learning Squared) project, an ambitious endeavor championed by the Human-Computer Interaction Institute at Carnegie Mellon University. Their chief mission? To double the math learning rate for middle schoolers, especially targeting those who have historically been underserved. This ambitious goal has come to life in collaboration with esteemed institutions such as Carnegie Learning and Stanford University, under the guidance of Prof. Ken Koedinger, Prof. Vincent Aleven, and Shiv Gupta.
What sets PLUS apart is their hybrid tutoring platform. By marrying the insights of human tutors with the capabilities of AI, PLUS aims to create a tailored learning experience for each student. The impact has been profound. Currently, PLUS serves over 2000 students across Pennsylvania, Maryland, and California.
Being a part of PLUS doesn’t just mean you’re joining a project; you’re stepping into a vibrant community. The PLUS team consists of diverse individuals with backgrounds ranging from experienced researchers to high-tech to small startups and they operate in a fast-paced and fun environment.
About The Role:
PLUS is looking for tutors to join the mission. Tutors will need to commit 2-4 hours per week for the entire duration of a school semester, preferably for the entire school year. All tutoring takes place virtually. You will work with 4-10 students in a session, though tutoring will take place individually in breakout rooms. PLUS software will help you decide which student to work with when. The program is delivered during school hours in regular math class.
In addition to tutoring, you will be responsible for:
- Completing all training lessons in the PLUS app
- Completing a tutor reflection form after each shift
- Participating in a brief 5-minute reflection with your lead tutor at the end of each tutoring session
- Maintaining a positive, professional, and enthusiastic attitude
- Managing the virtual classroom/zoom environment.
- Engaging in a “share out” at the end of the tutoring session.
- Record sessions and uploading recordings to the appropriate cloud storage.
- Attend synchronous training sessions as requested.
What You Bring:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- A good understanding of middle school math concepts
- Must have the willingness to engage with and mentor middle school students.
- Detail-oriented and able to manage multiple ongoing priorities.
- Excellent communication skills and a commitment to implementing inclusive practices.
- Growth-focused mindset with an emphasis on mentoring students.
What PLUS Offers:
- Competitive hourly rates starting at $15.00 per hour.
- Professional development opportunities with leading researchers from Carnegie Mellon University
- A fun, high-octane team that will support you every step of the way.
- Flexible scheduling
- Certification and recognition from CMU
- Remote Work: This opportunity is approved to work remotely from PA, CA, MD, and OH.
- Wage Transparency Requirements: In accordance with the pay transparency legislation set forth by CA, the corresponding salary range for this position, if placed in CA is between $15.00 – $18.15 per hour.
Are you interested in this exciting opportunity?! Apply today!
Staff – Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
Full Time/Part time