The Derry Area School District is located in eastern Westmoreland County, 35 miles east of Pittsburgh, between U.S. Route 22 and U.S. Route 30, in the heart of the Laurel Highlands. The school district is approximately 109 square miles in area and is composed of three municipalities: Derry Township, Derry Borough, and the Borough of New Alexandria. Proud of their heritage and rich in tradition, Derry Area School District (DASD)’s goal is to provide students with the educational background necessary to reach their greatest potential. DASD’s staff, with a dedication to work for the total development of the students, is its greatest asset. Efforts to achieve the district’s goals have been enriched through the excellent cooperation and support of the community and parents.
The school district operates a K-5 elementary school, a 6-8 middle school and a 9-12 high school. Approximately 2000 students attend the schools within the district, with another 128 students attending out-of-district placements, private and cyber schools outside of the district.
The Derry Area School District has placed a strong emphasis on Early Childhood Education. It is their mission and vision to ensure all children entering kindergarten are prepared to meet success. The district has won statewide honors for their work in literacy and early childhood education.
The shared values of the Derry Area School District comprise the foundation that frames every
aspect of educational and co-curricular programs:
- Education must be a partnership of school, home and community in order for students to realize their full potential.
- It is essential that the district provide all students with a wide array of opportunities, curricular and co-curricular, that will individualize and maximize academic, moral and ethical growth.
- It is the district’s responsibility to instill tolerance and respect for diversity that will cultivate respect for one’s self and others.
- Every student’s talents and potential are unique.
- Learning is a process of refinement, reflection and experimentation. Students must be provided with multiple opportunities to revisit and revise their understandings/work.
- Success is achieved through applied learning in conjunction with effort and perseverance.
- All students should experience access to and participation in district resources and services
according to their needs.
The mission of the Derry Area School District is to develop responsible citizens and life-long learners who are prepared to adapt and succeed in a global society.
Access to high-quality literacy instruction and resources, from birth through grade twelve, is an important key in achieving thr district’s mission. Literacy is the foundation that provides structure and resiliency to all learning.