City Charter High School is a technology-infused urban public charter school in downtown Pittsburgh, educating students in grades 9-12 from 23 school districts across the Pittsburgh area. City High’s mission is to graduate students who are academically, technologically, personally, and socially prepared to succeed in post-secondary education, training, or employment. 77.5% of students come from the Pittsburgh Public School District, while 62.53% of them receive free or reduced lunch. 51.71% of students are black, 35.68% are white, 10.63% are multi-racial, .9% are Hispanic, and 1.08% are Asian. As there are no GPA or testing requirements to enroll at City Charter High School, students of all academic and ability levels are accepted.
The six core beliefs of City High are:
- Connections to the real world. A career-focused experience convinces students that what they do at City High impacts their future.
- Continuous challenge. A curriculum constructed with multiple levels best meets the academic needs of individual students.
- Individual responsibility for learning. Academic success is dependent on students taking an active role in their learning.
- Personal academic connections. Success relies strongly on each student feeling connected to one or more adults at City High.
- Safe and caring environment. Essential to active classroom engagement.
- Collaboration. A student’s ability to collaborate is essential in today’s work environment.
City Charter High School has the #1 School Performance Profile (SPP) score out of all Pittsburgh Public High Schools, Charter Schools, and Cyber Schools. Also, it has the #14 SPP out of all Allegheny County Public School and Pittsburgh Public Schools, and all charters schools and cyber schools according to the PA Department of Education. 91.5% of City High students qualify to receive The Pittsburgh Promise Scholarship. With a 96% graduation rate, teachers loop all four years with their students, which is a key element of student retention and success. Finally, City High students have a 100% internship completion rate, as the school partners with the Pittsburgh business community to allow each student to complete a 13-week authentic internship experience.