Past Event or Opportunity
This opportunity has concluded. This page’s content may be out-of-date.
Title: Youth Program Manager at Venture Outdoors
Reports to: Director of Youth Education
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Hours: Full-time, Regular, Salaried, Exempt, Benefits
Salary: $50,000 annually
Inspire. Educate. Equip.
We remove barriers and create access to outdoor experiences.
The Youth Program Manager reports to the Director of Youth Education and supports the department by managing and expanding the contracts and activity fee programs within the youth department. Major programs include the Environmental Charter School (ECS) Aftercare program, Pittsburgh Public Schools (PPS) Summer BOOST program, and other afterschool programs and summer camps in partnerships with school and out-of-school time sites. The Youth Program Manager will manage up to 10 part-time staff members, including an Afterschool Coordinator and multiple Outdoor Educators. This staff member will help fundraise, book group experiences and contracts, and evaluate programs to ensure a high-quality experience for all clients and participants.
This position is a mix of office, field, and remote work. Field work is approximately 20-30% of the role during the school year and 50% during the summer. The following responsibilities have been initially defined; however, flexibility, positivity and a willingness to participate in the development of the department are needed to succeed in this position.
Applications will be accepted until 8:00 AM EST on Monday, February 6, 2023. Interviews will be offered after this date. No calls or emails please.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage contract and activity fee programs within the youth department, including the daily ECS Aftercare program, PPS Summer BOOST program, and summer day camps with schools and camps
- Manage up to 10 part-time employees, including an Afterschool Coordinator and Outdoor Educators
- Actively market and advertise group experience offerings, including fishing, kayaking, biking, hiking, and geocaching group rentals
- Develop and execute service agreements/contracts with clients
- Market program offerings to schools and districts to create new contracts and partnerships
- Work with the bookkeeper to monitor and track payments
- Create and monitor a youth groups contract budget of approximately $150K+ annually
- Lead staff through Outdoor Leadership Training, activity-specific trainings (kayaking, biking, fishing, etc.) and youth-specific trainings including behavior management and curriculum development
- Conduct market research on new revenue streams, including aftercare programs, weekend programs, and school/group offerings
- Pursue avenues of additional funding sources, including RFPs issued through the Department of Human Services, Department of Children’s Initiatives, childcare licensing options, and others
- Utilize technology platforms for participant registration and group bookings, including WordPress and Fareharbor
- Evaluate, track, measure, and report on program success and lessons learned
- Meet with and collaborate with schools, out-of-school time sites, and other community partners for program design and implementation
- Lead and assist on trips as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience managing full and/or part-time staff members, including recruitment, onboarding, training, and ongoing support
- Experience in K-12 education and teaching groups of youth in a formal or informal setting
- Experience working with children with special needs
- Experience with fundraising, including contract proposal writing, reporting and managing a budget
- Customer service and sales experience
- 3+ years in a management/supervisory role
- Interpersonal and conflict management skills required
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize work while managing multiple deadlines in a continually changing work environment
- Ability to work well independently and be part of a team
- Demonstrated willingness and commitment to uphold all Venture Outdoors’ policies
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex logistics in an organized fashion
- PA State Act 151 Child Abuse, PA State Act 34 Criminal Background Check and FBI Background check must be obtained and submitted prior to the first day of employment
- Note: a finding on the criminal background clearances is not automatic disqualification, but rather a conversation starter
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Microsoft 365 components
- A reliable form of transportation
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination or religious/medical exemption
- Current CPR and First Aid certifications (Wilderness First Aid or higher preferred)*
- Mandated Reporter training*
- Completion of Venture Outdoors’ Outdoor Leadership Training*
- Flexibility to work where necessary on the weekend, evening and holiday hours
*Can acquire upon accepting position
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurances
- 15 days paid vacation annually; 15 days paid sick time annually
- 10 paid holidays annually (these days are not prescribed by Venture Outdoors but provided to employees to use as they wish to best fit their values and beliefs)
- 8 hours of paid volunteer time per month to be used as employees see fit
- All primary and general election days are paid time off
- Parental Leave program
- Paid winter shutdown between December 26-January 1
- Paid professional development
- Flexible work environment
- Free kayaking!
STAFF EQUITY STATEMENT
We commit to the equitable treatment of our colleagues, participants, and community members by valuing their rights, dignity, voice, and expression.
We welcome and respect the diversity of individuality such as race, sex, gender identity, ability, culture, and religion.
We recognize the human right for all individuals to be respected and accepted without bias.
We commit to an organizational responsibility to build individual and community respect, dignity, fairness, care, and equality.
We strive to understand the role our system plays in perpetuating exclusion, and to address the dynamics that support it.
We understand that accountability is mutual and reciprocal in order to continually learn and improve.
We believe that Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion extends beyond the workplace and encourage all to continue personal development alongside the organization.
We require organizational staff and participants to encourage a culture of belonging and consider the entire experience and the ecosystem that supports.
We will not tolerate explicit and implicit forms of racism, sexism, classism, xenophobia, ageism, and/or ableism.
We will not accept the use of racial or gender biases and require staff to implement inclusionary practices within their duties and program design.
HOW TO APPLY
- Applications will be accepted until 8:00 AM EST on Monday, February 6, 2023
- Submit a resume via the job posting found at www.ventureoutdoors.org/about/employment-opportunities
- Interviews will be offered after this date. No calls or emails please
Venture Outdoors is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion.