The Richard King Mellon Foundation is excited to share a new Request for Ideas (RFI) for nonprofits and public agencies working in Allegheny and Westmoreland counties.
The RFI is an invitation to submit the best, bold ideas to create “Places of Opportunity” for children and youth from low-income families. The purpose of the Places of Opportunity initiative is to ensure community assets and supports are available to help youth withstand adversity and joyfully thrive. The Richard King Mellon Foundation expects to award at least $1 million in grants towards these ideas in December 2021.
Where can potential applicants learn more about the Places of Opportunity RFI?
- The Foundation has published a PDF with specific guidance for the Places of Opportunity RFI.
- Learn about other RFIs and the Richard King Mellon Foundation’s always-open general application on the “Apply” section of the Foundation’s website.
- By visiting their Economic Mobility funding program webpage.
- This RFI was featured recently in a story in the New Pittsburgh Courier.
How much funding is available per award?
- The Richard King Mellon Foundation expects that up to $250,000 will be available per idea. However, if an idea is truly exceptional, the Foundation may consider providing more than $250,000.
- The Richard King Mellon Foundation expects to award a total of at least $1 million towards this RFI.
- Additional funding opportunities are available through the general application and the Richard King Mellon Foundation’s three other active RFIs.
When are RFI applications due?
- July 16, 2021 is the due date for Phase 1. Applicants should submit an executive summary and a logic model using the Richard King Mellon Foundation’s online portal.
- A select group of applicants from Phase 1 will be notified by August 20, 2021 that they are invited to submit a full proposal.
Who can potential applicants contact the Foundation to learn more about this RFI?
- Applicants can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 412-392-2800 to connect with staff.