Pittsburgh Youth Chorus (PYC) seeks energetic and charismatic vocal music educators to teach Neighborhood Training Choirs at various locations.
About PYC: Pittsburgh Youth Chorus is a collective of young people who have been empowered and inspired by the joy of singing. Led by a dedicated staff of choral professionals who specialize in the young voice, Pittsburgh Youth Chorus (PYC) serves the region through exceptional choral music education and artistry. With opportunities for singers ages 6-18 – and with a focus on personal development, community engagement, travel, and cultural exchange – PYC’s multi-faceted programming is celebrated for its ability to nurture the potential of its participants while fostering confidence, dedication, and a sense of belonging.
About the Neighborhood Training Choir program: Our Neighborhood Training Choirs (NTCs) are the first stepping-stone to PYC’s choral education program. Running from late September-May – with classes meeting once a week – NTCs are open to all young singers (grades vary by location). Neighborhood Training Choirs provide an exciting opportunity for young singers to discover their voice in a high-quality choral education program that is close to home. Singers are given the chance to develop music reading skills, healthy singing in a group environment, connections with peers, and skills that may foster success in other PYC programs.
Current vacancies include NTCs in Coraopolis and Pittsburgh’s East End.
- Attend artistic team meetings as required by the Artistic Director.
- Plan and prepare for vocal music classes, being mindful of content standards and best practices established by the Artistic Director.
- Provide vocal music instruction to students grades 1-5.
- Keep timely and accurate records for attendance and other student data as requested.
- Communicate with participating families, venue personnel, and other PYC staff as needed.
- Perform other relevant duties as requested.
- Hold, be a candidate for, or possess equivalent experience to a bachelor’s degree in Music Education
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience working with Pittsburgh city youth
- Experience teaching music to elementary-aged students
- Singing voice that may serve as a healthy model for young children
- Experience with or exposure to Kodaly methodology (teaching music via solfege and rhythm syllables)
- Comfort teaching music from a wide variety of styles (i.e. classical, jazz, folk, gospel, pop, etc.)
- Piano skills and experience with Orff-Schulwerk and/or Dalcroze Eurhythmics are a plus
Compensation: $100 per class
PYC is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are dedicated to hiring employees who reflect the communities we serve, including people of color, women, LGBTQIA+ individuals, and people with disabilities. PYC will provide accommodations in all aspects of the hiring process. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Qualified candidates should email a cover letter and resume to PYC Executive Director, Lee Saville-Iksic, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Positions are “open until filled” with preference given to applications received by July 1, 2021.