Past Event or Opportunity
This opportunity has concluded. This page’s content may be out-of-date.
STEM Coding Lab is looking for a friendly and patient Teacher Assistant to join their team for the summer (16-20 hour work week). This position will work with students in grades 3 & 4 and will be responsible for supervising students, assisting with lessons, answering questions, preparing lesson material, and maintaining classroom tidiness.
A successful candidate must enjoy working with children and be devoted to building a nurturing and safe learning environment. To excel in this role, the candidate must be comfortable engaging with students in a classroom setting as well as demonstrate excellent verbal communication skills.
STEM Coding Lab will be working with the Pittsburgh Public School District’s summer B.O.O.S.T. program. The program runs from June 22nd through August 4th, Monday through Thursday. Students who receive academic instruction in the morning and in the afternoon have access to a variety of programming. STEM Coding Lab’s summer offering is called Robolympics and will be using BirdBrain Technologies Finch 2.0 robot. Students will learn how to program their robot to accomplish tasks that will enable them to compete for a place on the podium where they will receive a Gold, Silver, or Bronze medal.
Prior to the start of the BOOST program, the teacher assistant will be required to attend several days of training – schedule to be determined. Regular summer hours will be Monday through Thursday from 12:30 – 4:30 pm – additional hours on Friday may also be available if desired.
Applicants 18 years of age or older will be required to obtain clearances. The required clearances are Act 34 (Criminal Record Check in Pennsylvania), Act 151 (Child Abuse History), and Act 114 of 2006 (FBI Federal Criminal History).
Teacher Assistant Responsibilities:
- Work with the lead teacher to monitor the class.
- Assist teachers with lesson preparation by getting materials ready and setting up equipment.
- Revise lesson material with students individually or in small groups.
- Ensure the classroom environment is safe and clean.
- Collaborate with lead teachers to recognize issues students are facing and recommend solutions.
- Document student progress and communicate with lead teacher to keep them informed.
- Help lead teachers to create lesson plans.
- Comply with state, school, and class rules and regulations.
- Attend all training classes and staff meetings.
Teacher Assistant Requirements:
- Experience as a teaching assistant or similar role is preferred.
- Knowledge of computer programming is preferred.
- Solid understanding of classroom activities and teaching best practices.
- Must have a compassionate and positive attitude.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal and presentation abilities.
For information on how to apply, email Casey Mindlin at firstname.lastname@example.org.