Past Event or Opportunity
This opportunity has concluded. This page’s content may be out-of-date.
Based in the Homewood-Brushton YMCA, the Y Creator Space (YCS) is a STEM-based maker program serving youth ages 9-13. At YCS, youth develop grit, innovation, collaboration, and problem-solving skills through projects involving 3D printing, robotics, graphic design, circuitry, engineering, and more. YCS is currently seeking program instructors committed to impacting the creative, academic, and social development of youth through STEM and maker-based learning.
The time commitment ranges from 10-20 hours per week depending on programming and staffing needs. Because the Y Creator Space is an after-school program, afternoon/evening availability is required for the position. On occasion, mornings and Saturday shifts may be scheduled for special events and staff training.
- Develop and implement STEM lessons/activities for afterschool sites, summer camps, and in-school sites (primarily ages 9-13)
- Maintain a strong sense of structure and consistency with participants
- Be able to implement positive youth development practices and address behavior issues as they arise in a manner consistent with the YMCA’s core values of respect, responsibility, caring, and honesty
- Ensure the safe and effective use of program resources, including computers, 3D printers, audio-visual equipment, and art materials
- Be responsive to current trends in the fields of STEM, design thinking, project-based learning, and Maker education
- Be willing to substitute for other Y Creator Space staff members as requested
- Possess and maintain mandatory clearances (Criminal Background, Child Abuse, and FBI)
- Assist in tracking and recording program attendance, data, and successes
- Assist with youth recruitment efforts
- Follow all YCS Covid-19 safety policies and procedures including handwashing and mask-wearing.
- 1-3 years of teaching and/or youth development experience, particularly with ages 9-13
- Strong working knowledge of computers and technology
- The ideal candidate is professional, self-directed, highly adaptable, curious, committed to excellence, and has a positive attitude.
Education Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree (completed or in process) in relevant field preferred.
Compensation is based on years of experience, education level, and credentials:
Min: $9.65Max: $14.47
Submit resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org. To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume.