Winchester Thurston School, a Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 12 independent school in Pittsburgh, announces a search for full-time Substitute Teachers (a faculty assistant job classification) who can provide support in one or more divisions (Lower, Middle and/or Upper School) for the 2020-21 school year.
Winchester Thurston School faculty members are dedicated to actively engaging students through experiential learning programs in connection with the dynamic resources of the region, through a nationally recognized initiative called City as Our Campus. Our faculty members lead the way in educational innovation, rigorous academics, scholarly standards, and a learning environment that better prepares students for the challenges of a changing world in the twenty-first century.
The Substitute Teacher will implement and teach lesson plans and instructions for teachers who are absent, are temporarily assigned to other duties, or need classroom support and management for hybrid learning models. Individuals in this position will work closely with the Directors of Lower. Middle and/or Upper School, colleagues, students, and parents.
The Teacher is responsible for the following duties:
- Provides instruction, follows lesson plans and/or supports classrooms/students for multiple grade levels and multiple subjects, as needed
- Leaves notes for the regular teacher at the end of the teaching day
- Takes initiative to perform duties and complete tasks that support classroom teachers
- Works as a team member with teaching colleagues and administrators by attending all divisional faculty meetings and in-service days as well as serving on committees as needed
- Creates and maintains an appropriate classroom environment and help enforce school expectations
- Communicates with parents, as needed, in an effective and timely manner
- Commits to ongoing professional growth by participating in the School’s formative development process
- Fulfills duties that are connected with non-academic responsibilities, e.g., taking attendance, covering study halls and other assignments, as needed
- Performs other tasks, duties and projects, as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in education or subject-related discipline
- Teaching experience
- Understanding of the emotional and education needs of young and adolescent children
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Applicants may apply at https://www.applitrack.com/winchesterthurston/onlineapp and will need to submit a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information for 3 professional references.
Winchester Thurston School is an equal opportunity employer. WT is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic community and strongly encourages applications from people of color, LGBTQ candidates, and women.