Past Event or Opportunity
This opportunity has concluded. This page’s content may be out-of-date.
Winchester Thurston School, a Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 12 independent school in Pittsburgh, announces a search for a part-time Lower School Learning Specialist to start immediately and work through October 30, 2020. The individual in this position will work from 12 noon – 4 p.m. daily during this timeframe.
The Lower School Learning Specialist provides instruction and supervision for students in grades Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 5. The individual is this position will design and implement differentiated instruction as needed in math and language arts for students who demonstrate a need for remediation. The Lower School Learning Specialist must understand the emotional and educational needs of young children, be able to effectively communicate with them, and respond appropriately to individual differences in children. The individual in this position will work closely with the Director of Lower School, the Associate Director of Lower School, other faculty members, students, and parents. The Lower School Learning Specialist performs under the general direction of the Head of School and the daily supervision of the Director of Lower School. The individual in this position teaches and serves in a manner that advances and upholds the mission and philosophy of Winchester Thurston School.
The Lower School Learning Specialist is responsible for the following duties and responsibilities include:
- Teach Lower School students who are in need of remedial instruction in language arts and/or math
- When appropriate, implement formal accommodation plans for students with diagnosed learning differences as indicated by psycho-educational testing
- Collaborate with classroom teachers to provide differentiated instruction and guidance by helping to develop learning centers for students who demonstrate a need for remediation or enrichment/challenge in language arts and math
- Serve as a resource for teachers in all academic areas to assist them in planning for differentiation within the curriculum and to update them on trends and best practices in areas of special education
- Work with the administrative team to develop and recommend professional development opportunities
- Communicate with administrators, parents, and teachers in a timely manner regarding curriculum overview, activities, and progress of students
- Work as a team member with teaching colleagues and administrators by attending all school-wide meetings, department meetings, Lower School faculty meetings, and in-service days, and serving on committees as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education and experience teaching in an elementary setting is required; a Master’s degree in a related field and/or Reading Specialist certification is preferred
- Experience utilizing Orton-Gillingham or Wilson Reading programs, or another comparable reading intervention program is required
- Understanding of child development and developmentally appropriate practices for students in grades PreK through 5
- Knowledge of current research in learning and the brain, including tools and approaches to support students with learning differences is required
- Strong communication skills for working effectively with colleagues and parents as well as the ability to utilize educational technology in the classroom is required
- Independent school teaching experience, Responsive Classroom training, and Readers and Writers Workshop training and experience are preferred
Applicants may apply here and will need to submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for 3 professional references.
Winchester Thurston School is an equal opportunity employer. WT is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic community and strongly encourages applications from people of color, LGBTQ candidates, and women.