Are you ready to grow Carnegie Mellon University’s (CMU) Arts Greenhouse program? The Department of English is looking for a collaborative and innovative Head Instructor to cultivate the long-standing community program in a Humanities-centric direction.
About Arts Greenhouse
The mission of Arts Greenhouse is to champion the expressive and intellectual development of Pittsburgh youth in underserved schools through arts and humanities-focused enrichment activities. Through workshops, summer camps, and a mentorship program grounded in creative writing, Arts Greenhouse provides opportunities for students and teachers to utilize the arts, humanities, and technology for personal and social empowerment.
The Arts Greenhouse is in the process of reorganizing Arts Greenhouse to primarily function as an at-school enrichment initiative with both in-school and out-of-school time programs. Supplementary events and programming will occur throughout the city. Their youth curriculum is focused on Creative Writing and Music Making and evolving to include Visual Arts and Professional Development.
In this role, you will report to and work closely with the Principle Investigator and Program Coordinator to actively provide a vision for a growing program. This position’s influence will be instrumental in Arts Greenhouse’s future expansion and success.
The position’s responsibilities will include:
- Curriculum and youth program development that adheres to organizational mission and standards and implements traditional and non-traditional processes and projects
- Classroom management via instruction and building a positive environment for students
- Using physical and virtual spaces to facilitate learning
- Appointing and supervising guest instructors
- Recruiting participants and encouraging retention
- Co-leading partnerships with Pittsburgh Public Schools, CMU departments and community organizations
- Promoting Arts Greenhouse as the forward-facing liaison of youth initiatives
- Working with the Program Coordinator to navigate logistics of educational experiences including classroom supplies, field trips, and guest instructors
- Attending all major organization events
- Crafting strategic direction with the youth council and staff
- Participating in all necessary meetings with the Advisory Board, Principle Investigator, Program Coordinator, and others
- Assisting in the training and supervision of interns or volunteers
- Developing, implementing and analyzing evaluative materials for program assessment
If you are a reliable, positive individual dedicated to youth empowerment through education, apply for this position.
This is a full-time, benefits-eligible position through December 2020 with the possibility for renewal/extension based upon continued grant funding.
The schedule consists of some evenings and weekends. Weekly hours may be light at times, but intensify leading up to the beginnings and endings of each semester. This position will have a shared office on CMU’s Pittsburgh campus when on-campus operations resume.
Arts Greenhouse is a grant-funded program and continuation of the program and this position in future years is dependent upon funding.
CMU is a welcoming workplace that considers applicants for employment without regard to and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. Carnegie Mellon is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
- 1-3 years of experience teaching youth programs or classes
- A Bachelor’s Degree or substantive related training and experience
- A passion for Arts Greenhouse’s mission and a dedication to providing young people with the highest quality Youth Development experiences
- Committed to the development of middle school and high school students and providing access to resources for underprivileged demographics
- Experience working with multi-ethnic, multicultural, and economically diverse staff, youth and families
- Outstanding skills in written and verbal communication, reasoning, and problem-solving
- A high degree of integrity, professionalism and poise – unflappable
- Creative and innovative, working independently and collaboratively
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Suite and music production software
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills
- Delivers projects on time; communicates and coordinates timelines and processes
- Ability to work after hours and on weekends when needed
- Able to adjust for diverse environments and skilled at working remotely
- Reliable means of transportation and ability to travel to various locations
- Ability to acquire Act 153, PA Child Abuse History, and PA Criminal Records clearances
To be considered for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter with your application online through Interfolio, http://apply.interfolio.com/76044 Applications selected to move forward may be asked to complete an additional assignment as part of the selection process