Past Event or Opportunity
This opportunity has concluded. This page’s content may be out-of-date.
The Y Creator Space (YCS) is a STEAM-based maker program that serves youth ages 9-13. YCS operates a base program at the Homewood-Brushton YMCA and also delivers off-site programming in schools, summer camps and other community-based organizations. This individual will co-lead a team of YCS staff and volunteers to deliver high quality S.T.E.A.M. and maker-based programming in Homewood and outreach programming in the Pittsburgh region. Primary responsibilities include program instruction, curriculum development and revision and materials management. The position reports to the Director of Youth Development.
- Approx. 20-22 hours per week; during the school year. Weekday afternoons and occasional Friday mornings and weekends. Summer hours may vary.
- Design and implement inquiry-based, open-ended S.T.E.A.M. lessons and learning units
- Ensure that instruction and projects are inclusive of varying skill levels and age-appropriate
- Be responsive to current trends in the fields of S.T.E.A.M., project-based learning, and maker education
- Work with program team to plan and execute quarterly showcase events such as APOST Lights On After-school and Remake Learning Days celebrations
- Maintain a strong sense of structure, consistency, professionalism and coach other YCS team members accordingly
- Cultivate and maintain a safe, healthy, supportive, and collaborative learning environment for participants
- Model the Y’s core values of honesty, caring, responsibility and respect
- Ensure the safe and effective use of program resources, including laptops, 3D printers, audio-visual equipment, robotics kits and art materials
- Train program instructors and volunteers on the safe and effective use of program resources
- Track attendance, assess student learning and evaluate the program’s success to monitor program effectiveness
- Lead and assist with youth recruitment strategies
- Be able and willing to travel by personal transportation throughout the greater Pittsburgh region to deliver YCS programming in Homewood and other locations (travel is reimbursed)
- Establish and maintain relationships with relevant community partners
- Create opportunities for volunteer engagement
- Possess and maintain mandatory clearances (Criminal Background, Child Abuse, Mandated Reporter and National Registry of Sex Offenders)
- 3+ years of teaching and youth development experience, particularly grades 3rd-8th
- Strong working knowledge of computers and technology
- The ideal candidate is mission-driven, professional, self-directed, highly adaptable, curious, committed to excellence, and has a positive attitude
- Creative and adept at developing relevant, engaging project-based activities
- Current driver’s license
Education Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree (attained or in process) preferred
Compensation: Minimum $11.67 / Maximum $17.51
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume. Send resumes to email@example.com.