Past Event or Opportunity
This opportunity has concluded. This page’s content may be out-of-date.
The Y Creator Space (YCS) is a STEM-based maker program serving youth ages 9-13. At YCS, youth develop grit, innovation, collaboration, and problem-solving skills through projects involving 3D printing, robotics, graphic design, circuitry, engineering, and more. The program hub is at the Homewood-Brushton YMCA, but YCS also delivers enrichment and outreach programming in Allentown and throughout the Greater Pittsburgh region. YCS is currently seeking program instructors committed to impacting the creative, academic and social development of youth through STEM and maker-based learning. YCS is seeking instructors for our primary program site based in the Homewood YMCA as well as outreach programs which operates in Allentown and the greater Pittsburgh region.
The time commitment ranges from 12-20 hours per week depending on programming and staffing needs. Because the Y Creator Space is an after-school program, afternoon/evening availability is required for each position as well as occasional Saturdays. The exact days/times worked may vary, but all program instructors must be available Monday and Tuesday afternoons. In addition to after-school programming, the Y Creator Space occasionally operates morning. Program instructors may be expected to assist with that programming. Candidates should have reliable transportation as some travel is required.
- Develop and implement STEM lessons/programs for afterschool sites, summer camps, and in-school sites (primarily ages 9-13)
- Maintain a strong sense of structure, consistency, professionalism, and quality at assigned program sites
- Be able to implement positive youth development practices and address behavior issues as they arise in a manner consistent with the YMCA’s core values of respect, responsibility, caring, and honesty
- Ensure the safe and effective use of program resources, including computers, 3D printers, audio-visual equipment, and art materials
- Assist in tracking and recording program attendance, data, and successes
- Assist with youth recruitment efforts
- Assist with snack and meal distribution with adherence to Child and Adult Food Care program (CACFP) guidelines
- Be able and willing to travel throughout the greater Pittsburgh region to deliver YCS programming in Homewood, Allentown, and other locations
- Maintain relationships with relevant community partners
- Be responsive to current trends in the fields of STEM, design thinking, project-based learning, and Maker education
- Be able to work a schedule that may vary by week or season and that includes evenings and some weekends
- Be willing to substitute for other Y Creator Space staff members as requested
- Possess and maintain mandatory clearances (Criminal Background, Child Abuse, and FBI)
- 1-3 years of teaching and youth development experience, particularly with ages 9-13
- Strong working knowledge of computers and technology
- The ideal candidate is professional, self-directed, highly adaptable, curious, committed to excellence, and has a positive attitude.
Education Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree (completed or in process) in relevant field preferred
Compensation is based on years of experience, education level, and credentials:
Min: $9.65 Max: $14.47
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.