The Heinz History Center, an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution and the largest history museum in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, is currently seeking a full-time Community Engagement Coordinator, a new position that will become part of a dynamic and growing Learning Division.
The Community Engagement Coordinator will report to the Director of Learning, working to advance the History Center’s strategic priority to engage diverse communities in meaningful experiences with our region’s history, collections, and exhibitions, while also deepening civic engagement. The Community Engagement Coordinator will expand the History Center’s capacity to build community collaborations, create partnerships, and respond to community needs. The Community Engagement Coordinator is responsible for the development and implementation of programs throughout the region, with an emphasis on increasing participation, especially in traditionally under-served communities.
This role will be responsible for identifying strategic partners with community organizations that have shared or complementary interests with the History Center and forging productive relationships with these community members. This work will include organizing community-based forums and programs in conjunction with strategic initiatives, especially America 101, the museum’s history and civics initiative, to expand audiences and meet community needs.
The ideal candidate will:
- have a commitment to diversity and inclusion as key strategies toward broad-based institutional excellence
- have a minimum of two to five years’ experience managing community relationships with a proven ability to forge mutually respectful, trusting, and effective relationships
- experience developing a range of programs for the public
- effective oral and listening skills and the ability to work effectively towards consensus building with people of diverse cultures, ages, and economic backgrounds
- demonstrated positive approach to problem-solving, collaborating with others, and in approaching new tasks
- excellent project management skills and demonstrated ability to plan and operate strategically and to work effectively with internal and external stakeholders.
Learn more about this position here.