Carnegie Mellon University’s Department of English is hiring!
Program Coordinator: Arts Greenhouse, Department of English-2011907
Do you want to help organize and grow Carnegie Mellon University’s Arts Greenhouse program? At the Department of English, we are looking for a collaborative, experienced, and self-motivated Program Coordinator to help lead the long-standing community program in a Humanities-centric direction.
About Arts Greenhouse
Arts Greenhouse’s mission is to foster the expressive and intellectual development of Pittsburgh youth in under-served schools through arts and humanities focused enrichment activities. Through workshops, summer camps and mentorship opportunities in poetry, self-writing and a variety of performance arts, Arts Greenhouse provides students and teachers opportunities to use the arts and humanities as a catalyst for personal and social empowerment.
We are in the process of reorganizing Arts Greenhouse to function as an in-school enrichment program with supplementary programming on CMU’s campus. Our curriculum will evolve to include Creative Writing, Music Making, and Professional Development.
In this role, you will report to and work closely with the Principle Investigator and Department Business Manager to provide operational support and vision for a growing program. It is an exciting time for Arts Greenhouse and you will be instrumental in the program’s future expansion and success.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Overall organization, vision, and support for the program.
- Act as the de-facto administrator for all program needs
- Ensure that all Arts Greenhouse programming is on-mission and provides a safe and supportive environment for youth participants
- Participate in the recruitment and supervision of the Head Instructor and guest instructors
- Recruit youth participants
- Lead a partnership with Pittsburgh Public Schools
- Promote Arts Greenhouse’s activities and goals
- Establish partnerships with University departments, community groups, and like-minded organizations across greater Pittsburgh
- Execute the logistics of educational experiences including field trips and guest instructor visits
- Attend all major organization events
- Answer calls and emails, assist with mailings, and field questions
- Place orders and maintain positive relationships with internal and external vendors
- Maintain all necessary meetings with the Advisory Board, Principal Investigator, Head Instructor, and others
- Manage payments and budget administration, tracking costs, and work within specified budget parameters
- Assist in the writing of grants for continued program funding and support
- Develop an annual work plan to solidify a “playbook” for the program
- Coordinate Child Protection clearances
- Produce reports and evaluative materials
- Conduct assessments of program effectiveness and implement improvement plans for the future.
You will work daily with students, parents, administrators, teachers, and vendors. If you are a dedicated, positive individual with a personal commitment to youth empowerment through education, we want to hear from you.
- 3+ years of experience managing youth programs, particularly school-based programs
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or sufficient related training and experience
- A passion for Arts Greenhouse’s mission and a commitment to providing young people with the highest quality Youth Development experiences
- Experience working with multi-ethnic, multicultural youth and families
- Outstanding skills in written and oral communication, reasoning, problem-solving, analytical and organizational by nature
- A strategic thinker, passionate about improvement
- A high degree of integrity, professionalism, and poise – unflappable
- A problem-solver who can find creative solutions
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel, G Suite, and Adobe Suite.
- A diplomat with keen judgement and collaborative spirit
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills
- Delivers projects on time; communicates and coordinates timelines and processes
- Ability to work after hours and on weekends when needed
- Able to negotiate diverse environments and travel to various locations on and off campus, skilled at working remotely
- Grant-writing experience is preferred but not required
- Act 153 Clearances
- This is a part-time position for 10-months out of the year.
- Schedule consists of some evenings and weekends (August – May). Weekly hours will be light at times, but intensify leading up to the beginnings of each semester. This position will have a shared office on CMU’s Pittsburgh campus.
- To be considered for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter with your application. Applications selected to move forward may be asked to complete an additional assignment as part of the selection process.
- Arts Greenhouse is a grant-funded program and continuation of the program in future years is dependent upon funding.
CMU is a welcoming workplace that considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Job Function: Project / Program Management
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Time Type: Part Time
Minimum Education Level: Associate’s Degree or equivalent