Past Event or Opportunity
This opportunity has concluded. This page’s content may be out-of-date.
Position Location: Youngstown, Ohio
This position is responsible for providing program management oversite and support to the America Makes Executive Director and will be responsible for a wide range of workforce development activities to include complex planning, research, consultative, technical, and program administration work.
Work involves developing local and regional plans or programs with America Makes members and developing procedures for implementation and evaluation of plans or programs. Other work involves providing consultative and technical services to other governmental agencies such as Department of Defense and Department of Commerce, community organizations such as SME and ASME and to the general public. Work also involves establishing program goals and objectives; developing program guidelines; developing schedules, priorities and standards and evaluating activities.
Works under general supervision with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. Program management involves ensuring project leader effectiveness in delivering project objectives on time and on budget.
Annual personal objectives are established at the start of each fiscal year and reviewed at least semi-annually to assess objective progress. Monthly staff meetings are held with America Makes Executive Director. Monthly individual meetings are held with the incumbent. For additional guidance, the incumbent is encouraged to meet with the America Makes Executive Director on an “as needed” basis.
Milestones may be set for review of extended or ongoing programs or initiatives. These milestones are to be reviewed through the above meeting opportunities. Often operational goals are set that span 3-6 months with monthly milestones.
Knowledge and Experience
- Master’s degree with curriculum emphasizing public administration, social science, education, or a related field. This degree should be accompanied by 5 years of relevant experience with a proven record of increasing responsibility in technical application and supervisory areas
- or bachelor’s degree curriculum emphasizing public administration, social science, education, or a related field. This degree should be accompanied by 10 years of relevant experience with a proven record of increasing responsibility in technical application and supervisory areas
- or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
The incumbent :
- Must have knowledge of local, state, and federal guidelines and policies governing workforce programs across K-12, vocational / technical schools, higher education, and workforce. In addition, knowledge of budgetary processes and procedures; and contract development and administration is preferred.
- Is required to understand, apply, and communicate to others rules, regulations and guidelines prepared by state and federal agencies for workforce development programs; mentor and motivate employees; establish and maintain effective working relationships with governmental agencies, local partners, training institutions, coworkers, program participants and the general public; demonstrate proficiency in both oral and written communication; and analyze and interpret data.
- Must have proven and effective leadership and organizational skills. Experience successfully managing individual projects as well as a portfolio of programs comprised of multi-organizational teams is desired.
- Must have excellent communication and presentation skills and be willing to travel, as significant customer interface is required.
Travel is required for this position.
The incumbent will manage the operational aspects of a variety of programs including significant customer interface, incoming program reviews and assignment to proper staff, project management, and project reporting to appropriate Center staff and Department of Defense – DoD representatives and Department of Commerce – DoC representatives.
Customer projects can range in length from 2 months to 1-2 years and in value from tens of thousands to in excess of $1M each.
This position is also responsible for generating additional or follow-on business with $2M to $3M in value annually.