Past Event or Opportunity
This opportunity has concluded. This page’s content may be out-of-date.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Youth Development Coordinator
The Youth Development Coordinator has responsibilities in several program areas: 1) afterschool programs for youth; 2) summer enrichment for children; 3) arts education programs; 4) the coordination of student placements and AmeriCorps workers to provide hands-on personnel in all described areas; and 5) interaction with other organizations and agencies to plan educational initiatives throughout the service area. The Youth Development Coordinator reports to the Director of Services. The position requires both hands-on work with children as well as full participation in planning and program development as a member of the professional staff of the Association. The position is full-time with some weekend and evening hours required.
- Coordination with area elementary schools, e. g., Pittsburgh Grandview K-5 and Pittsburgh Arlington K-8 to recruit participants and to plan other activities and initiatives as directed. Allentown activities will be based at the Allentown Learning and Engagement Center (ALEC) at 827 East Warrington Avenue.
- Planning, implementation, and expansion of all summer enrichment program activities, including development of instructional programs, coordination of speakers, facilitators, or events; identification of new partners and/or locations; the purchase of materials for activities and snacks.
- Coordination of school programs with Grandview/ALEC and Arlington including the recruitment of participants and volunteers, preparation of curricular materials, interaction with school faculty, supervision of staff, and oversight of the actual program operation as well as expansion of the programs as warranted.
- Coordination of an afterschool healthy eating/wellness program at Arlington including the supervision of instructors; on-going curricular development; and coordination with the Neighborhood Learning Alliance.
- Participation in community-wide planning processes concerning youth programs and potential development and implementation of programs to meet articulated needs.
- In cooperation with the Pittsburgh Opera, coordination of the Opera Connection program with permits parents and children to attend pre-performance workshops and opera performances two times a year.
- Direct interaction with university and college student placement offices to attract and recruit student placements to serve as hands-on staff for enrichment programs as well as the supervision of the placements in concert with on-site staff.
- Direct interaction with AmeriCorps to attract and recruit AmeriCorps placements to serve as hands-on staff for enrichment programs as well as supervision of these placements.
- Identification of program sites as needed and development of effective working relationships with management entities at those sites.
- Careful completion of all program documentation and participation in the preparation of program reports, grant proposals, press releases, etc.
- Attendance at all staff meetings, agency functions, seminars, etc. as assigned as well as active participation in agency-wide activities such as the holiday collection drive, fund-raising events, etc.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Services or the Executive Director.
- A bachelor’s degree in education, social work, or other appropriate area is preferred. Extensive experience working with youth in an urban setting is required.
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks in culturally diverse environments without close supervision is required.
- A valid Pennsylvania driver’s license is required along with use of a vehicle.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including some evening and weekend hours.
The position is full-time and includes health, retirement and other benefits. The salary range is $30,000 to $33,000.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com