Past Event or Opportunity
This opportunity has concluded. This page’s content may be out-of-date.
The Alice Challenge invites middle and high school students in the Pittsburgh region to create 3D animations, engaging games, or immersive experiences using the Alice programming environment. Alice helps students develop technical skills and encourages them to explore their creativity, all while making something meaningful. Entries will be judged by real game designers and industry experts.
To enter the competition, students can use Alice 2 or Alice 3 to create projects for one of the competition categories:
- Animation: Animations can be linear or interactive narratives that tell a story or build an environment.
- Games: Games can be of any genre such as a driving game, quiz game, or whatever you can make. All games must have a goal for player interaction.
- Good Neighbor: Inspired by the legacy of Fred Rogers, this category is about creating experiences for social good. Entries can be animations, games, or whatever you can imagine.
The Alice Challenge is open to all students in grades 6 – 12 in Pittsburgh and the surrounding communities of Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Washington, and Westmoreland counties.
Do you want to bring the Alice Challenge to your classroom or learning space? Teachers and out-of-school educators are encouraged to sign up for free training workshops to learn how to use Alice with your students and support their participation in the competition:
- Thursday, November 9 at transformED in Homestead
- Tuesday, November 14 at transformED West in McKees Rocks
- Tuesday, January 23 at transformED in Homestead
Each workshop runs from 8:30am to 3:30pm and will give you all the skills and knowledge you need to bring Alice back to your students and get them started on the Alice Challenge. Workshops are provided at no cost, and Act 48 credit is available.
If you are unable to attend a scheduled training our would like to plan a separate training for your colleagues or staff, please contact us and we’ll find a way to get you trained.