The core activities of IDEATE include:
- eight undergraduate concentration and minors on new creative industry themes: game design, animation and special effects, media design, sound design, learning media design, entrepreneurship for creative industries, intelligent environments, and physical computing.
- a professional Masters degree in Emerging Media (EM2) offered across the College of Fine Arts (CFA), School of Computer Science (SCS), and College of Engineering (CIT).
- the CMU Integrative Media Program (IMP) in NYC at Steiner Studios (part of the Applied Sciences of NYC). The IMP plans to start hosting four interrelated graduate programs in Fall 2015*: Emerging Media Masters, Masters in Computational Data Science, Masters in Integrated Innovation, Masters in Urban Design.
- interdisciplinary research activities and labs including: responsive environments, reality computing, physical computing, expanded theater, human machine virtuosity, learning media design, participatory culture incubator
- the Entertainment Technology Center; a premiere professional center for interactive entertainment with specialization on the art and science of game design and development, specifically in transformational games.