Founded in 1975, the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) is one of the largest student-governed organizations based in the United States. With more than 31,000 members and more than 300 chapters in the U.S. and abroad, NSBE supports and promotes the aspirations of collegiate and pre-collegiate students and technical professionals in engineering and technology.
NSBE’s Pre-College Initiative (PCI) program is designed to stimulate the interest in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics fields, or STEM. The goal is to encourage students in grades K–12 to attend college and pursue technical degrees. Our PCI program provides activities to help students discover firsthand how engineering and technology relate to the world around them and discover the excitement of academic excellence, leadership, technical development and teamwork.
Benefits of NSBE Jr.:
- College Admissions Preparation – Obtain materials to prepare you for the PSAT, SAT, and ACT
- Participate in technical competitions such as the Try-Math-A-Lon, MathCounts, Engineering Design Competition (Robotics-based), and the PCI Science Fair.
- Receive college application information including how to get into college, financial aid information, etc.
- Discounted Kaplan Test Prep services and materials. You can also receive a chance to win a free test prep class offered by Kaplan.
- Scholarships and Awards – Awarded to NSBE Jr. members in high school who have excelled academically and expressed an interest in pursuing a career in engineering and related fields.
- Subscription to The Bridge – the NSBE magazine that caters to pre-college students. (a $15 value)
- Discount Registrations for conferences and events including the Annual Convention/PCI Mini Conference held annually in March. Our conferences offer innovative programming designed to expose youth to science, technology, engineering & math (STEM)
- Leadership Development – Develop your leadership skills by serving in many chapter and some regional leadership roles
- Opportunity to meet other NSBE Jr. Collegiate and Alumni members from around the world who have walked in the footsteps that you intend to.
- Opportunities to be mentored and/or tutored by College Students or Technical Professionals currently working in a STEM field