The YMCA Lighthouse Project is an after-school program for high school teens that seeks to empower young people through an integration of project-based arts instruction, leadership development, and academic support.
Teaching artists are responsible for developing culturally responsive projects that delivering lesson plans that integrate experiential hands-on art-making with critical analysis and exposure to foundational works in the art form. Teaching artists are responsible for facilitating the completion of student works and preparing young people for culminating performances and presentations. Teaching artists should be responsive to students’ creative interests and implement positive youth development strategies into lesson plans and projects.
The Lighthouse Project is seeking teaching artists with expertise in the following disciplines:
- Visual Art/Mixed Media
- Fashion Design/Fiber Arts
- Music Production/Beatmaking/Hip-Hop
- Expertise and enthusiasm for digital media and tech
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience teaching youth in one of the arts disciplines listed above
- Experience with lesson planning and curriculum development
- Demonstrated ability to integrate youth interests with pedagogies of counter-narrative and social justice
- Positive attitude and highly motivated
- Develop project ideas and design and implement lesson plans
- Lead groups of 8-10 youth in art-making, discussion, and reflection
- Guide students through the creative process toward completion of an individual or collaborative final art product to be performed or presented
- Attend quarterly staff meetings, culminating performances, and other special events
- Document student attendance
- Work with program staff to develop and implement evaluation tools that capture student learning and artistic growth
Work hours: Classes are 90 minutes in length and occur twice a week. All classes are held after school hours between 3pm and 7:30pm. Teaching artists are compensated for setup, lesson planning, and meeting time.
Salary: $20-30 per hour depending on level of experience
Send resumes to: email@example.com
Deadline to apply: September 1, 2017
The YMCA of Greater Pittsburgh is an equal opportunity employer.