Hosted by the Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh, with a special educational partnership with Quaker Valley School District, the Maker Educator Institute will provide formal and informal educators an opportunity to learn more about integrating making in teaching and learning.
The Institute will feature:
- Special partnership with Quaker Valley School District, featuring several sessions and workshops by Agency by Design, a multiyear research initiative at Project Zero, Harvard Graduate School of Education, investigating the promises, practices, and pedagogies of maker-centered learning experiences.
- Keynote panel at the New Hazlett Theater hosted by Illah Nourbakhsh, Professor of Robotics and Director of the Community Robotics, Education and Technology Empowerment (CREATE) lab at Carnegie Mellon University
- Local maker educators and guest panelists, including Kenneth Lockette, Avonworth School District; Corey Wittig, Carnegie Libraries of PIttsburgh; Janella Watson, New York Hall of Science; Chad Ratliff, Ablemerle County Public Schools in Virginia; and Lisa Regalla, MakerEd.
- Intensive workshops (sign-up required), including a workshop for pre-service teachers hosted by Robert Morris University; one on mindfulness and language by the Children’s Innovation Project; and a workshop by the Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh MAKESHOP teaching artists
- How to Get Started
- Makerspace Design
- Linking Maker-centered Learning to Career Pathways
- Curriculum Design: STEM and Making
- Literacy and Making
- Tour of the Carnegie Science Center Mobile Fab Lab
- Research and Evaluation
- Making and Early Childhood Education
- MakerED Playbook
The Institute will be held on Friday, October 9 from 9am to 5pm (with option to end at 2:30pm). It will take place at the New Hazlett Theater and Children’s Museum on the North Side.
Special Opportunity to Attend Maker Faire Pittsburgh Opening Party!
Institute attendees are invited to the opening party for Maker Faire Pittsburgh taking place at the Museum at 5pm on Friday, October 9. The party will feature local makers, entrepreneurs, educators, and special guests.
Discounted Tickets to Maker Faire Pittsburgh
Institute attendees will receive a code to purchase discounted tickets to attend Maker Faire Pittsburgh on Saturday, October 10 and Sunday, October 11.
Friday, October 9, 9am to 2:30pm or 5pm, $30